A & M Supply was established in 1982 by Mike Arterburn. Its beginning was somewhat meager as its office and warehouse were in the rear of an onion packing shed in Hermiston, Oregon. At present, A& M has two locations: 30701 Sturgis Street, Hermiston, Oregon which consists of a 10,000 square foot warehouse and 5,000 square feet of office, and 1430 Hillsboro, Pasco, Washington, which has 6,000 square feet of warehouse and 2,000 quare feet of office. Between both locations the inventory carried is approximately $1.5 million. We purchase products from over 1,000 vendors worldwide.
When originally established, A & M Supply specialized in hook, belt chain and potato harvester parts. Over the years it diversified to include the power transmission area, and today we are a large power transmission distributor. We still are specialists in belt and hook chain for all vegetable, fruit and flower bulb harvesters.
In 1992 A & M built Noffsinger West Manufacturing, which manufacture chains, rollers, sprockets and rubber parts. This year we have just completed sale of this plant to Noffsinger Manufacturing in Greeley, Colorado. This 5 year venture emphasizes the old adage that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. So now, rather than be both manufacturer and distributor, A & M is back doing what it does best, "distribution."
A & M employs approximately 20 people. Two outside salesmen at each location and three inside people at each location. The primary sale area is eastern Oregon and Washington. However, we sell all over the United States and Canada because of our large inventories and specialization in certain areas.
Our clientele are in agriculture, food processing, industrial manufacturing, dams, public utilities and various other entities.
Michael K. Arterburn, President